Congratulations to Arlene Salazar, one of our amazing Research, Instruction, and Outreach Librarians, for being chosen as the staff recipient of the 2020 Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion Award. This award was established to honor Texas State University community members for exceptional commitment to diversity and inclusion. These awards recognize and reward faculty and staff members for activities that promote the university’s diversity and inclusion goals and the impact of those activities.
Ms. Salazar was congratulated on the breadth and the depth of her work to make the University Libraries a more diverse and inclusive space through her long-standing work. Some of her recent work includes:
- Diversifying the library collection through concerted efforts to improve interdisciplinary holdings for Latino/a Studies and African American Studies
- Advocating for inclusive terminology both within the library’s holdings as well as with external vendor products
- Years of outreach and relationships with several of university affinity groups
- Partnering with faculty to spotlight research in Latino/a Studies and African American Studies through “Research Spotlight,” collection building, social media and more
- Earning appointment on the Advisory Board to the AAS program
Please join the University Libraries in congratulating Arlene Salazar for this recognition of her important work! Congratulations, and thank you for making the University Libraries more diverse and inclusive.
This article was contributed by Dianna Morganti, Research, Instruction and Outreach Librarian for Texas State University Libraries.