YouStar Studio supervisor makes recording experiences accessible and welcoming for all

Imagine you have just been hired to manage recording studio spaces and teach people how to create their own audio and video recordings. It’s a cool job, right? Now imagine you start your job just as a pandemic causes on-site services to shut down. Before you even meet your co-workers or the people you will be serving, you have to completely re-think how your new job can be done without interacting with people in person.

That was the challenge given to Alkek One’s Kira Wright last March. Instead of preparing to open technology engagement features in the library after spring break, Wright and the rest of the Alkek One team had to reimagine how they could serve Texas State students, faculty and staff remotely. By July, the doors to Alkek One had opened and the team sought to welcome people who wandered down to the library’s new first floor, but with fewer people on campus and heavy limitations on gathering in the spaces designed for collaboration, the team had to adjust its plans.

“I started the week after the COVID-19 shutdown began almost a year ago,” Wright recalls. “I was really nervous because everything was changing, but my team (of new co-workers) was super welcoming and reassured me in the same way we want to reassure the visitors to Alkek One. We try to make students, faculty and staff feel welcomed and safe when they enter through our doors. Just getting through these crazy times has been a nice surprise, but it was easier than I expected and we were able to pivot to this whole virtual world.”

Wright, who earned a journalism degree from the University of North Texas has a background in news and video production. She oversees Alkek One’s YouStar Studios which includes two audio recording studios, two video recording studios and a production studio that is equipped with music and sound equipment that anyone at Texas State can reserve and use for free.

“I wish people knew that everybody can use the YouStar Studios! You don’t have to have any video experience or even any audio experience. I didn’t know how to use any of the music equipment, but I was able to teach myself how to use what we make available in the production suite. I think people think it’s only meant for certain majors and they get embarrassed that they don’t really know what’s in there. It’s super accessible and its meant for everyone,” Wright said.

But if you don’t feel comfortable stepping foot inside of the library yet, that’s fine. Alkek One offers remote workshops to accommodate to your needs. Wright teaches audio and video editing workshops.

“We offer our workshops online. We have in-person options as well, so if someone is more comfortable doing it in-person, we can totally set that up for them,” Wright said. “If you don’t want to come in person that’s okay. And if you would rather go into the sound booth and chat with me virtually, we can make that happen.”

Another thing Wright wants people to know about is the equipment the YouStar Studios makes available for people to use.

“We have a lot of equipment for checkout. What you see in Alkek One is not all there is. We have stuff like 4K cameras, 360-degree cameras, audio equipment, headphones and even ring lights if you want to take a cute little selfie,” Wright said. “We have so many things and I just want to encourage people to check it out. You don’t have to be a mass communications, film or music major to enjoy it. It’s meant to be accessible and inclusive for everybody of any major.”

In addition to being the tech savvy YouStar Studios supervisor, Wright loves to indulge in her hobbies from time to time.

“I grew up dancing, so sometimes I’ll take dance classes. I love video and photography so I like to take pictures of my friends. Writing is also a big hobby of mine. My background is in journalism, so I write a lot in my free time,” Wright said.

The next time you are in the Alkek Library, be sure to stop by the YouStar Studios to see what is there for you to use. Who knows? You might end up hosting your own podcast or YouTube channel or discovering a new hobby of your own.

This article was contributed by Carin Carlin, University Libraries Social Media Student Assistant and Debbie Pitts, University Libraries Marketing and Communications Coordinator.