Alkek Library user experiences are important to Tricia Boucher

Do you ever wonder what happens with information gathered from customer service surveys and feedback forms? Is there any point to submitting them? University Libraries’ User Experience Librarian Tricia Boucher wants the Texas State campus community to know that information gathered from these sources has had a huge impact on their libraries.

Take the new Starbucks on the main floor of the Alkek Library and the technology centers in Alkek One as examples of improved library experiences that resulted from user feedback.

“User experience is all about learning what makes a good experience for anyone coming into the library. Whether it’s the physical library or even the library website, we like to know what would make that experience better,” Boucher said. “A big part of what I do is look for ways to improve that experience for anybody walking through the door or visiting our website. We are always asking for input from our students, faculty and staff.”

The surveys the library collects provide information on what the patrons want. Recently, many students, faculty and staff received an email from Institutional Research with the subject line: “Help us make the libraries better and enter to win a great prize!” While the prizes are one great incentive for participants, the other benefit to participating in the survey is knowing that the information provided helps inform decisions that improve library services, resources and spaces.

“One thing we heard from a lot from people in past was coffee. Coffee, Coffee, Coffee! Everyone asked for coffee in the library. And we got that response for YEARS! We built the coffee kiosk when we renovated the second floor in 2016, and then when we did the full renovation of floors one through four, we took out the kiosk and put in a Starbucks,” Boucher said. “When we designed the first floor we got a lot of input from people about what they wanted to see and use on the first floor. What was really exciting is that people were thoughtful and we were able to respond to what people really asked for.”

Boucher became familiar with the Alkek Library while working on a student project as part of her library science studies at the University of North Texas. That experience fueled her motivation to make the library an accessible and comfortable place for all kinds of people.

“The first time I walked into Alkek I was a graduate student. And the first thing I felt was overwhelmed. All I could think was “How does anyone walk in this place and feel comfortable, it’s so huge! And now, I really don’t want that overwhelmed feeling to keep people out of the library, I want people to feel comfortable coming in here.” Boucher said.

To make people comfortable Boucher has had a hand in everything from the selection of furnishings to floor layouts and signage. Her knowledge of architecture, insatiable love of learning and varied interests make her a huge asset to University Libraries where she wears many hats.

With an undergraduate degree in art history, and master’s degrees in comparative religions, architecture and library science, Boucher never really stops learning.

“I like all sorts of stuff. I practiced as an architect for a couple of years, I worked in libraries, I worked in special education, I even worked on a ship for around a year. I have done a lot of weird stuff. I like trying new things,” Boucher said. “It’s going to sound weird, but I like to collect skills. I’m constantly wanting to try things or learning how to do something. I did glassblowing, sailing, blacksmithing, a lot of things. I just love picking up manual skills. I also really love hiking I will hike as much as I can.”

This love of skills collecting makes her a perfect fit for the Alkek One team where she is helping to guide the user experiences in the library’s skills-oriented creative technology centers. Boucher also serves as the subject librarian for psychology and general studies, a role where she helps faculty and students find topical research resources.

So, be sure to look for that library survey email and make sure to fill it out thoughtfully, Tricia Boucher and her team would really appreciate it, and who knows, you might see your idea in the library one day!

This article was contributed by Carin Carlin, University Libraries social media student assistant.